This morning, I finally got around to making homemade everything bagels. A moment of silence now. ... ... ... ... ... ... They are incredible. I feel like I really achieved something major here, like nirvana or something pretty damn close to it. Behold!

As I chow down on them, I wonder how many could I eat before people start judging me negatively. Or would they be understanding? Natch, I'm gonna write about how I can't even buy store bought ones anymore and that they hold up when compared to a bakery or even something from NYC. I know what I'm saying!
***
Last Friday, ATM & I met our friend Ben for supper at Mt. Fuji to discuss business. After dinner, we motored over to South On Main for drinks. I've had exactly one meal there and it was good. The food was completely well-prepared, but there was no WOW factor & it was a touch pricey. Another time, I met pals for drinks there and we had an appetizer because we didn't want to spend a great deal of money on so-so food. Again, well-prepared, no wow factor, and expensive, especially for the size. Long story long, while we were having cocktails with Ben, Chef Bell stopped by to say hello. He informed us that he was sending us snacks, which was a pleasant surprise, because I've always wished that they had snacks for drinkers to nosh on, so that they wouldn't have to buy costly entrees. Anyway, I have to take everything back about what I've said about the food. The grilled oysters were better than anything I've had in New Orleans. Yes, very big words! The just-made pork rinds were heavenly. Somehow, they were crunchy and creamy. It was my favorite treat. Ben seemed especially keen on the spiced pecans. There was some polite-but-strained fork fighting over the duck confit. Chef's refreshments gratis were so damn good, that I stand corrected. I should've given him more time to settle in and do what he does well.
***
It's funny how the brain works; last weekend, I got a craving for a food that I haven't had since I was 4 or 5. I've never made almond jelly before, it was something my Viet aunts prepared for us when we were little, but it was simple, really. So light, tasty, refreshing.

***
Kitchen is closed.
3 comments:
YUM
Yum.
yumyumyum.
Those bagels LOOK like a triumph - so glad they taste even better than they look because they look amazing.
Well done!
Yes, gal. Thanks! Whenever we meet up again, I'll be sure to have some in tow!
I'll be your first (or whatever #) customer on your bagels. Saw Andrew at Vino's on Saturday as my sis and I were leaving an event there Saturday afternoon. Good to see him. Would like to see you too!
Post a Comment